peacock

peacock

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Thinker vs. Doer

My general belief is that all humans are both thinker and doer. In most cases one cannot exist without the other. A second generalization is that all humans lie on a spectrum of action. The dichotomy of thinker versus doer is similar to the physiological response of “fight or flight.” There are those that weigh their options and exit a situation and some that simply act on impulse. Like the spectrum concept, most people lie in the middle, but in the dramatizations that are Shakespearian plays, most seem to exist in the extreme. This is seen best in Act 4 where Prince Hamlet continually debates over whether to kill his vile half-father/half-uncle King Claudius. To Hamlet “A thought which, quartered, hath but one part wisdom / And ever three parts coward.” The Prince finds that when a person over-thinks a situation they are held back by three-quarters of cowardice and only one-fourth of reasonable evidence. Hamlet is an individual that would be considered a thinker by most standards and lie very east on the spectrum of fight and flight. Hamlet’s counter-part in the play, Laertes, represents the fighters in society. He acts prior to thinking something through. When news of his father’s death gets back to Laertes he immediately returns to his homeland of Denmark and confronts King Claudius, who he believes is to blame, and proceeds to insult and threaten him. Laertes has nothing holding him back while Hamlet doesn’t seem to allow anything to push him forward.
I relate more to Hamlet in that I am very much a thinker but less frequently a doer. I sometimes feel caged in my mind and unable to function with my body. I over-think things but feel as if I don’t act in excess. I try to accomplish all that is needed of me but sometimes a particular action is filtered so many times through my brain that it never reaches completion and has been lodged into the deep recesses of my psyche. This isn’t to say that I have no purpose at all. Most deeds are done on auto-pilot and our brains are too preoccupied with other thoughts to even recognize the action being done while other times the action is never done because our mind has latched onto something else. I am a thinker, but this is something I pride myself in because without proper reason our actions could be done in vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment